In 1880, the local population of Noordwijk was dependent on fishing. The then Mayor Pické found that Noordwijk had more to offer than just fish. A seaside resort with allure would yield a better catch. In 1883 Pické puts on the highest point of the dunes the first spade in the sand and the Grand Hotel Huis ter Duin was opened in 1885.
In 1887, the textile dealer Heinrich Tappenbeck bought the Badhotel Huis ter Duin with six hectares of land. The house ter Duin of Tappenbeck focused mainly on guests of level. Members of the House of Orange and members of the Belgian royal House stayed with great regularity in Huis ter Duin.
The level was retained but competition on the coast increased. In the 1960s, the hotel was sold and resold to a project developer who wanted to demolish the complex. The city Council of Noordwijk rejected these plans, after which the hotel came into the hands of the current owner. In 1984 the Grand Hotel Huis ter Duin, after renovation and new construction, was reopened by Princess Margriet.
In January 1990 a large part of the hotel was destroyed by fire. This was the reason for the reconstruction of an efficient and highly secured hotel with Allure, which meets the highest demands of both visiting and staying guests.
Nowadays, the Grand Hotel Huis ter Duin consists of two parts: the Historic and the Grand Hotel. The Historic has survived the fire of 1990 and has five floors, four of which are furnished with hotel rooms. The Grand Hotel was resurrected after the fire and consists of eleven floors, of which nine floors are decorated with Hotel rooms.